GHS labels for hazardous materials guarantee standard-compliant labeling
GHS is an abbreviation for “Globally Harmonized System of Classification, Labelling and Packaging of Chemicals” and it is a worldwide uniform system for classification of chemicals and hazardous substances. The general resistance against chemicals or other aggressive liquids as well as the seawater resistance are guaranteed for these labels.
The CLP standard (Classification, Labelling and Packaging, in accordance with EU – No. 1272/2008) regulates the classification and packaging of materials and mixtures in the EU based on GHS. The obligation to the self-classification in accordance with CPL applies for chemicals since 2010 and for mixtures since 2015.
The GHS labels will be often used in the transportation and logistics sector. They will be adhered to the transportation containers like kegs and barrels, to packaging, and transporters for hazardous materials. There are nine hazard classes, which are spread across explosive, gaseous, flammable, poisonous, corrosive and radioactive categories. By labeling with GHS labels the risk of mistakes when handling dangerous goods shall be minimized.
The GHS labels can be subsequently inscribed with individual data directly at customers’ site. The labels will be customized to the requirements and applications.
The main features of GHS labels
- High resistance in outdoor use and in contact with chemicals and solvents
- High abrasion resistance with suitable thermal transfer ribbons for the thermal transfer printing
- Suitable with labeling in accordance with standards like e.g. BS5609 section II and III
- Very high adhesive power of the labels even on difficult substrates
- Optimization of the processes by automation of material- and product flow
Functions and advantages – precisely tailored to your requirements for the labeling with hazmat labels
The GHS labels will be adjusted individually to the customer’s requirements. This happens with suitable special materials by leading brand manufacturers and premium adhesives.
The labels can be inscribed directly as required in variable amounts with current data at the site, by that the storage and the management of numerous labels may be dropped.
Some materials of transport containers for hazardous materials which must be labeled can have a very rough or dusty or oily surface, which can be labeled safely with matching adhesives.
Our upscale and accurate processing with most modern die-cutting technologies guarantees the highest precision and reliability for the label application. Thus even hazmat labels with adhesives which are difficult to process can be processed mechanically very well, which increases the user efficiency in the long term.
Frequently Asked Questions
The typical labeling products in the area of these labels are warning labels. They serve the safety during the storage, handling and disposal of the hazardous substances. GHS regulates all application areas of all chemical hazardous materials, substances and mixtures. This applies for the whole life circle starting with production and storage and up to processing sites and consumers as well as final recycling. Food, pharmaceutical products and cosmetics are excluded from the regulations.
These labels can be applied for example in the following branches and areas on kegs, barrels and containers for hazardous goods:
- Chemical industry (hazard symbols/pictograms)
- High sea identification in accordance with BS 5069 seawater resistance of labels
- Automobile manufacturing (warnings on the tank trucks)
- Vehicle construction (warning on tanks and containers in the area of cargo transports)
The risk evaluation of hazardous goods includes two classifications which will be shown on separate labels. On the label 1 the risk type of the substance will be presented, like for example “inflammable” or “corrosive to metal”. On the label 2 the risk category is presented. The figure 1 represents the highest risk category. The GHS includes six elements:
- Danger symbols/pictograms
- Signal words (e.g. danger/caution)
- Hazard warnings (e.g. fatal when swallowed)
- Safety cautions (for storage, disposal and handling)
- Product labeling (chemical contents)
- Company identification
- Temperature resistance from +80° C (176° F) to -40° C (-40° F)
- UV and weather resistant foils up to 2 years
- High performance materials of polypropylene (PP), polyethylene (PE), polyvinylchloride (PVC), polyethylene high density (PEHD)
- Permanent adhesives with a very good adhesive power for high- and low-energy substrates
- Diverse carrier materials like compressed kraft paper in different thicknesses, transparent plastic liner, kraft paper siliconized on both sides, and environmentally stable kraft paper available
- Subsequently inscribable with thermal transfer printing and inkjet printing method
- Foil materials provide high dimensional stability
As a manufacturer robos-labels has a wide range of already approved and certified labeling solutions. When additional customized licenses are required, we can take on the approval- and certification process if desired.
We already meet the following standards and regulations with our raw materials:
- ADR 2021 Ordinance on the transport of dangerous goods by road, rail and inland waterways (GGVSEB)
- CLP Regulation (Classification, Labelling and Packaging, in accordance with EC No. 1272/2008)
- BS 5609 Label resistance to saline sea water
- DIN EN ISO 11683:1997-11 Packaging – Tactile warnings of danger – Requirements
- FDA 175.105 INDIRECT FOOD ADDITIVES: ADHESIVES AND COMPONENTS OF COATINGS
- UL969 Marking and labeling systems (labels on smooth and not convex surfaces)
- UL817 Safety cord sets and power supply cords
- UL2238 Cable assemblies and fittings for industrial control and signal distribution
- UL94 Flammability of plastic materials for parts in devices and appliances (UL VTM-0 strictest classification)
- FMVSS 302 Evaluation of the flammability of interior materials (flammability/burn rate)