Labels with UL and CSA certification
Labels with UL and CSA certification offer an approved safety for the labeling of products in the Northern American market. Robos-labels offers 21 certificates, which guarantees the export to the USA and Canada in conformity with the law. Our over 25 years of experience in the manufacturing of UL certified labeling makes us to experts in this field and its complex requirements.
Since 1993 robos-labels is a certified manufacturer of UL certified labels and additionally entitled to print every UL sign on the labels.
What is UL certification?
The Underwriter Laboratories Inc. (short UL) is an independent institute founded in Northbrook / USA in 1894. Similar to the German TÜV it tests all kinds of goods which will be imported to the USA or manufactured in the USA – for example for the safety of use. This happens out of public interest and for reasons of consumers’ protection. As soon as a product or device will be given for certification to the UL, all the parts of the device will be examined – e.g. type plates as well. Further services of the UL include examination, consulting, monitoring, analytics and certification of labeling products.
Which requirements do the UL-labels have to meet?
The UL specification 969 “Standard for marking and labeling systems” defines the requirements for the marking- and labeling systems equipped with adhesives, printed labels, plates, and user manuals.
The UL 969 regulates the requirements and testing methods of the consistency of the label material, the printing process and the temperature resistance of a label. Further regulations include the adhesive power on different surfaces, the possibility of thermal transfer printing as well as the overall construction of a label. UL adheres labels onto characteristic test surfaces and exposes labels to typical workload to win information about resilience and legibility.
Especially the legibility of the imprint is important, because often there is safety-relevant information on labels and type plates. When they meet the criteria, the products get the respective certification or approval.
Which application programs does UL distinguish?
According to the requirements robos-labels offers you different products for the certification, these comply with the application programs of the UL. We will be glad to give you an outline of single programs. Our consultants will be happy to provide you detailed information.
Frequently Asked Questions
UL File: E346480 TEOU2/TEOU8: Repackaged Recognized Components
For this application program we produce plain labels which can be imprinted with thermal printing method subsequently at customer’s site. Mostly cautions or serial numbers will be printed on the labels. With over 100 pre-certified materials we can cover a wide range of requirements which allows for a fast processing. Additionally, there are TTR ribbons which correspond with these materials. In the end the evaluation is made in accordance with the requirement ANSI/UL 969.
UL File: MH26028 PGDQ2/PGDQ8: Marking und Labeling System
For this program robos-labels delivers already imprinted warning plates and labels, which must not be inscribed subsequently at the end customers’ site. A special aspect is that the UL has tested and certified the processing steps of our own materials combination, thus they can be implemented and applied rapidly.
UL File: MH48629 PGJ12/PGJI8: Marking und Labeling System – Printing Materials
For this UL program robos-labels prints labels and warning plates, which will be imprinted with additional variable data subsequently at customers’. Here the UL has tested and certified the processing steps of our own material combination and also tests the respective TTR ribbons.
UL File: LP4017 PGAA: Authorized Label Suppliers Program
In this case robos-labels delivers imprinted labels, mostly warning plates, which are already equipped with the imprinted UL logotype. This indicates to the consumer that the respective product or device has been examined and approved by the UL. For the label it is specified that it must not be non-destructively removable. This way manufacturers and consumers will be protected from unauthorized removal.
Our portfolio of materials for UL certified labels in programs Marking und Labeling System/Printing Materials
Unser Materialportfolio für Etiketten mit UL-Zulassung in den Programmen Marking und Labeling System/Printing Materials
Along with the desired UL application program, the choice of suitable label materials is always oriented at the substrate which has to be labeled as well as at the required temperature sustainability.
Our standard product range includes almost 100 different materials pre-certified by the suppliers.
Our standard range of certificates includes 21 UL certifications which will be produced in digital printing (ROPET) or in silk screen (Robosfilm). Both manufacturing methods allow for an optimum printing results in accordance with the requirements of your desired printing motifs.
Portfolio of Materials
For reasons of clarity we have sectioned our UL certifications in four categories depending on the materials:
Materials category 1: Labels without laminate
- ROPET silver
- Robosfilm silver
- Robosfilm white
- Robosfilm white 02
Materials category 2: Labels with glossy laminate
- ROPETgloss white
- ROPETgloss silver
- ROPETgloss trans
- Robosfilm gloss trans
- Robosfilm white ex
- Robosfilm silver ex
Materials category 3: Labels with matte laminate
- ROPETmatt white
- ROPETmatt silver
- ROPETmatt trans
- Robosfilm matt white
- Robosfilm matt silver ex
Materials category 4: Labels with matte scratch-resistant laminate
- ROPETmatt white scratch resist
- ROPETmatt silver scratch resist
- ROPETmatt trans scratch resist
- Robosfilm matt white scratch resist
The most important features of labels with UL and CSA certification
- Certified product labeling enables the export of the electronical parts to the USA and Canada in conformity with the law
- Requirements and the testing methods of labels will be regulated by UL 969
- High resistance for outdoor use and in the area of chemicals and solvents
- High abrasion resistance with suitable thermal transfer ribbons for the thermal transfer printing
- Very high adhesive power of the labels even on difficult substrates
Functions and advantages – precisely tailored to your requirements for the labeling
The UL and CSA certified labels offer the most possible flexibility and will be individually aligned to the customer specifications. This happens by suitable special materials by leading manufacturers, individual die-cuts and premium adhesives.
The labels can be inscribed directly as required in variable amounts with current data at the site, by that the storage and the management of numerous labels may be dropped.
Our upscale and accurate processing with most modern die-cutting technologies guarantees the highest precision and reliability for the label application. Thus even labels with adhesives which are difficult to process can be processed mechanically very well, which increases the user efficiency in the long term.
Industrial use of labels with UL and CSA certification
The typical labeling products in the sector of these labels are barcode labels, type plates, rating plates, caution and warning labels. These labels can be used for example in the following sectors and areas:
- Mechanical engineering (engines, machines and machine tools)
- Electric tools construction (tools, home appliances, office machines etc.)
- Car manufacturing (OEM´s, supplier)
- Vehicle construction (public transport, freight transport, ships and train construction)
- Medical products (active, non-active and products with measuring function)
- Chemical industry (tubes, lines and open sea identification)
Individual specificity of UL- and CSA certified labels
Robos-labels has a wide standard program of pre-certified material combinations. If they don’t cover your requirements, we will be glad to care about the complete sampling, organization and processing of new UL certificates.
Technical key data of our UL- and CSA-certified labels
- Temperature resistance from 150° C (302° F) C to -40° C (-40° F)
- UV- and weather resistant foils up to max. 5 years
- Very thin (min. 6µ) as well as very thick (175µ) combinations of foils are possible
- High-performance materials made of acrylate-foil, polyimide foil, aluminum foil and polyester (PET)
- Permanent adhesives with a very good adhesive power for high- and low-energy substrates
- Subsequently inscribable with thermal transfer printing and ink jet method
- Foil features are from soft and smooth and stretchy to stable and tear proof
Certification of our labels with UL and CSA certificates
As a manufacturer robos-labels has a wide range of already approved and certified labeling solutions. When additional customized licenses are required, we can take on the approval- and certification process if desired.
We also cover the first article inspections (PPF, production process and product release) in accordance with the specifications of German Association of the Automotive Industry (VDA) as well as the American counterpart, a PPAP inspection (Production Part Approval Process) of the AIAG (Automotive Industry Action Group).
We already meet the following standards and regulations with our raw materials:
- UL969A:2020 Standard for Marking and Labeling Systems – Flag Labels, Flag Tags, Wrap-Around-Labels and Related Products
- UL817 Safety cord sets and power supply cords
- UL2238 Cable assemblies and fittings for industrial control and signal distribution
- UL94 Flammability of plastic materials for parts in devices and appliances (UL VTM-0 strictest classification)
- FMVSS 302 Evaluation of the flammability of interior materials (flammability/burn rate)
- FORD WSS-M99P41-A72
- MS-13445 (FCA – Fiat Chrysler Automobiles)
- TL 52038 (Volkswagen Standard)
- GMW14573 (General Motors)
- TM-0030T-Y (Tesla)
- GS 97058 (BMW)
- MS 373-12 (Hyundai)
- DBL 8230 (Mercedes-Benz)
- TSM7508G (Toyota)
- REACH, RoHS and IMDS conformity
- ADR 2021 Ordinance on the transport of dangerous goods by road, rail and inland waterways (GGVSEB)
- CLP Regulation (Classification, Labelling and Packaging, in accordance with EC No. 1272/2008)
- BS 5609 Label resistance to saline sea water
- DIN EN ISO 11683:1997-11 Packaging – Tactile warnings of danger – Requirements
- FDA 175.105 INDIRECT FOOD ADDITIVES: ADHESIVES AND COMPONENTS OF COATINGS